Early term abortion clinics always remind their patients that proper self-care is essential for both mental and physical wellbeing and health after an abortion.
If a medical professional carries out an abortion, the procedure will be safe with few risks. But, women should know the things they have to do after undergoing an abortion.
Caring for Yourself after Abortion
You can relieve pain and cramping through applying heat on the stomach.
For those days following an abortion, it is normal for some women to feel exhausted or unwell. Pain due to cramping is also common and this might feel intense sometimes.
Women must ask someone to drive them home from the abortion clinic. They should also make sure that they get lots of rest to allow their body to properly recover and lessen the risks of side effects. It is also important that they avoid doing physically or emotionally strenuous activities for the time being.
A woman might also get more prone to infections after an abortion. This is because it takes some time before the cervix closes. To lower the risks of infections, here are the things that women must avoid at all cost:
- Using swimming pools for 1 to 2 weeks
- Engaging in penetrative sex and inserting anything inside the vagina for 1 to 2 weeks
- Using tampons until the next menstrual cycle. It is safer to use sanitary pads in case bleeding occurs.
Here are other self-care tips women can try following an abortion procedure:
- You can relieve pain and cramping by applying heat on your back or stomach.
- A massage on your stomach will help with passing uterine tissue and cramping. A back massage can also help deal with cramps.
- Make sure you monitor your temperature daily for one week since fever is often an indication of an infection.
- Take the medication described by your doctor such as antibiotics.
- Attend follow-up appointments after several weeks. It is essential to make sure that your uterus is properly healing and the abortion was really complete.
- Use OTC or over the counter pain relievers like ibuprofen. If ever the pain gets unbearable or intense, make sure you seek medical advice right away.
Recovery Time After Abortion
The recovery times for abortion may differ from one woman to another. Women who undergo abortion during the first trimester and women who don’t have complications often feel normal in just a matter of days. Bleeding may also stop in just 6 weeks.
Late-term abortions, on the other hand, have longer recovery time. If there are complications, the recovery can get longer, with some women requiring surgery or hospitalization. However, this is not usual, with most women recovering within several weeks.
Abortion is one of the most difficult decisions you can make so there is nothing wrong if you feel a plethora of emotions. Visit a family planning abortion clinic and talk to a doctor to set your expectations for this particular procedure.